Poem-a-Day, April 16: Save a day.

Dust of Snow

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.


*

Hello Friends —

Today's poem is by Robert Frost (1874-1963), from a collection called You Come Too that I ordered from my third grade class's Scholastic catalog. I'm not sure in which of Frost's books it was originally published (Do any of you know?). Poetry Trivia: Robert Frost was poet laureate from 1958-9 (under Eisenhower), the fist poet to read at a presidential inauguration (for JFK), and won the Pulitzer Prize four times across three decades. He never graduated from college.

April is National Poetry Month, and I am celebrating by emailing out my own eclectic selection of one poem per day for the duration of the month. If you wish to be unsubscribed from this Poem-a-Day email list at any time, please reply to this email with a friendly unsubscribe request (preferably in heroic couplet form). You may also request to add a consenting friend to the list, or even nominate a poem.

To learn more about National Poetry Month, or to subscribe to a more official-like Poem-a-Day list, visit www.poets.org.

Enjoy.
Ellen


"Dust of Snow" by Robert Frost was featured again for Poem-a-Day April 28, 2010.
Poet Robert Frost was also featured for Poem-a-Day April 30, 2008.

Labels: