Poem-a-Day, April 25: Berkeley Street Cannibals

BALLAD

Tell me the evening,
tell me the day,
and tell the night
to stay away.

Tell me a story,
tell me a game,
tell me everything
except my name.

Tell me a picture,
tell me a song,
tell me what
went wrong.

---------------------------------------

Hello Friends,
Along with being one of the most ancient poetic forms, the ballad is also one of the most universal: it pre-dates the written word and can be found across almost every language, every country, every culture, and every century. Today's balladeer is the street poet Julia Vinograd, from her collection Berkeley Street Cannibals: Selected Poems, 1969-1976.
Enjoy.
Ellen


"Ballad" by Julia Vinograd was also featured for Poem-a-Day April 12, 2009.
Poet Julia Vinograd were also featured for Poem-a-Day April 20, 2007.

Labels: ,