Poem-a-Day, April 30: The Poem Said

The Poem Said
By Franz Wright

The poem said never love anything
Not even you?
I asked
and it answered

especially me

If you must, love

not living
with hope

or not living

taste this
and remember

not yet being—

Especially me

I am just you

If you must, like
and coldly admire my cold stars
shit for brains
love what I stand for

not me

the leopard the beautiful
death
who puts on his spotted robe when he goes
to his chosen,
the

what was the not now the what will be

Like suddenly using a dead friend's expression

Make yourself useful
while there is time

while there is still light and time


*******************************************

Hello Friends,

Well, we're running short on both light and time for National Poetry Month 2011. But the good news is, the poems are still there, all around you, all the time, if you look for them.

My hope is that a poem or two has spoken to you over the past month. Maybe you even got to ask a poem or two a question.

I thank you for humoring me in this April ritual. And if a particular poem or two from the past 30 days did stick with you, and you feel inspired to dive deeper, here are some places to start. You can also now find all of this month's poem-a-days (and April 2010, April 2009, April 2008, and April 2007) migrated here to meetmein811.blogspot.com.

Cheers,
Ellen

Labels: