Poem-a-Day, April 30: what I always wish for

The Wish

Remember that time you made the wish?

I make a lot of wishes.

The time I lied to you
about the butterfly. I always wondered
what you wished for.

What do you think I wished?

I don't know. That I'd come back,
that we'd somehow be together in the end.

I wished for what I always wish for.
I wished for another poem.

*

Hello Friends —

Today's poem is by Louise Glück from her collection Meadowlands (1996).

If you wish to be unsubscribed from this Poem-a-Day email list, you're a little bit late: Today is the last day of April, and the last Poem-a-Day for 2007. Thirty days. Thirty poets. Thirty poems.

Thank you for humoring me in this celebration of National Poetry Month. Remember that you may peruse all of the month's poem-a-days on my blog at meetmein811.blogspot.com.

If a particular poem or two from this month has really stuck with you, and you're feeling inspired to dive into a whole book of poetry, here are some places to start.

You can still learn more about National Poetry Month, and about poetry events in your geographic region all year round, at www.poets.org.

Thank you again for partaking in my own little celebration of National Poety Month.
I hope to run into you in 811...

Ellen


Poet Louise Glück was also featured for Poem-a-Day April 12, 2008.

Labels: